I've never been much of a runner, but now that I'm a mom I'm required to run errands with my kids. After decades of wearing high heels, the ball of my foot and the arch of my foot were both really sore. I finally caved and bought a silicon heel cup from Amazon, which has made a world of difference.
The Anatomy of the Heel
The heel is the large bone at the back of the foot. It supports the weight of the body and helps to absorb shock. The heel is made up of two main parts: the calcaneus (heel bone) and the Achilles tendon.
The Achilles tendon is a strong band of tissue that attaches the calf muscle to the heel bone. It is used when walking, running, and jumping. The Achilles tendon can become weak or damaged due to injury or overuse. This can lead to pain in the heel.
The calcaneus is a large bone that makes up the back part of the foot. It is also known as the heel bone. The calcaneus supports the weight of the body and helps to absorb shock. It is made up of two main parts: the body and the base.
The body of the calcaneus is the upper part of the bone. It is curved and has a rounded end. The base of the calcaneus is flat and rests on the ground when you are standing.
The silicone heel cup is designed to fit over the calcaneus and provide support for the Achilles tendon. It can help to reduce pain in the heel by providing cushioning and
Painful Heel Conditions and Their Causes
There are many different painful heel conditions that can afflict people of all ages. The most common causes of heel pain include:
-Achilles tendonitis: This condition is caused by inflammation of the Achilles tendon, which attaches the calf muscle to the heel. It can be caused by overuse or injury to the tendon.
-Heel spurs: Heel spurs are bony growths that form on the heel bone. They are often caused by repetitive stress on the heel, such as from running or standing for long periods of time.
-Plantar fasciitis: Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the plantar fascia, a band of tissue that runs across the bottom of the foot and connects the heel to the toes. It is often caused by overuse or injury to the foot.
-Bursitis: Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa, a small sac of fluid that helps cushion the bones and joints. It can be caused by overuse or injury to the joint.
If you are suffering from any of these conditions, you may find relief with a silicone heel cup. Silicone heel cups help to cushion
Using a Silicone Heel Cup
If you're looking for a pain-free way to walk or run, using a silicone heel cup can be a big help. Here's how to use one:
- Choose the right size. Heel cups come in different sizes, so make sure to measure your heel and choose the right size for you.
- Insert the heel cup into your shoe. Place it under the insole of your shoe so that it sits snugly against your heel.
- Walk or run as usual. The heel cup will act as a cushion, absorbing some of the impact and helping to prevent pain in your heel.
- Remove the heel cup when you're done walking or running. Be sure to clean it with soap and water after each use.
- Repeat as needed. Use the heel cup as often as needed to help reduce pain in your heel.
Tips for Putting on Your New Silicone Heel Cup
Assuming you've already got your silicone heel cup, here are a few tips to get it on without any pain:
- Start by washing your feet thoroughly - this will help the cup to stay in place and prevent any infection.
- Make sure the cup is dry before you start - if it's wet or damp, it may not stick as well.
- Carefully peel back the edges of the cup and apply it directly to your heel. You may need to press down firmly to get a good seal.
- Once the cup is in place, give it a few minutes to set before putting your shoes back on. And that's it! With your new silicone heel cup, you should be able to walk pain-free.